non-BDB support for DLZ in Bind9?

PGNd dev at pgnd.us
Fri Mar 25 21:40:18 UTC 2016

Thanks for the quick reply.

> These still work but are somewhat obsolete now. BIND now has the ability to
> dynamically load DLZ modules at run time

Right.  I was just referring to the *docs*, which afaict are still the most complete, conceptually re: DLZ anyway

IIUC (?), I'm correctly invoking with at

	./configure ...
	--with-dlz-postgres=no \
	--with-dlz-mysql=no \
	--with-dlz-bdb=/usr/local/dlz-bdb \
	--with-dlz-filesystem=yes \
	--with-dlz-ldap=no \
	--with-dlz-odbc=no \
	--with-dlz-stub=yes \
	--with-dlopen=yes

where I do a bit of hoop-jumping-for-convenience due to the distro's system-locations, namely

	mkdir  /usr/local/dlz-bdb
	cd     /usr/local/dlz-bdb
	ln -sf /usr/include/db4 include
	ln -sf /usr/local/lib64 lib

wherein my config summary tells me

	Configuration summary:
	Optional features enabled:
	    Dynamically loadable zone (DLZ) drivers:
	        Berkeley DB (--with-dlz-bdb)
	        Filesystem (--with-dlz-filesystem)
	        Stub (--with-dlz-stub)

and

	ldd `which named` | egrep -i "libdl|libdb"
	        libdb-4.8.so => /usr/lib64/libdb-4.8.so (0x00007efc2dbdd000)
	        libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007efc2c6cd000)

> Not that I know of, but you can build queryperf (contrib/queryperf) and
> measure it.

Well, looky that!  How long's that been in there? Thx.

> > What's Bind's position on BDB dependency & support, and implementation
> > any alternative such as LMDB, going forward?
>
> We have no position on the licensing issue.

I can imagine why ...

> Technically, the DLZ modules are considered contributed code and are not formally supported by ISC

IMO, It'd be great if that were to change at some point.  Understand that resources are needed.

> If someone were to build an
> LMDB module (which might be pretty straightforward if the API is similar
> to BDB) I would be delighted to accept that contribution.

I'm starting to poke around myself; hope that a more capable solution appears.  Can't help but wonder out loud if an LMDB-based bundled solution might work out ...

Fyi+fwiw, @ http://symas.com/mdb/

	"Since the LMDB API is similar to BerkeleyDB, porting existing BDB-based code to LMDB is usually quite simple and fast. More projects will be adapted as they come to our attention."