Configuring different TTLs in multiple RRs for the same domain name, TYPE, and CLASS

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Fri Mar 25 07:09:49 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-24 18:28, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <mailman.454.1458858570.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:

>>> There was a great paper published 15 years ago describing a study of DNS
>>> cache effectiveness at MIT. http://nms.csail.mit.edu/projects/dns/
>>>
>>> It concluded (amongst other things) that NS records (and associated
>>> address records) are really important, but leaf records that users ask for
>>> don't matter so much. (Based on cache hits before TTL expiry, IIRC.)
>>>
>>> I don't know of a similar study performed more recently.
>> The internet was a very different place 15 years ago, in particular,
>> this was before every Windows client machine had it's own DNS cache
>> service and largely before today's connected mobile devices were a thing.
> But it was also before the widespread use of CDNs (Akamai was founded
> only 3 years earlier). These days, the most heavily used web sites use
> CDNs, which make heavy use of short TTLs for the leaf CNAME and A
> records.

Yeah, that's a factor too.

I'm more interested in the impact from the perspective of an
authoritative server operator and in some respects sites that use short
TTLs will increase the odds of my longer-TTL's records staying in the
cache longer before it gets hit by a cache-size limit, but none of my
zones are really large enough to do A/B testing.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/