root hints operation

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 17 02:09:36 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 06:56 PM, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> You either specify a hints file to use, or use the compiled-in root
> hints.

Interesting.  I was not aware that it was an exclusive or type situation.

> Since the beginning of DNS, there has not been enough change to root
> hints so as to cause operational problems.

Agreed.

It's my understanding that ALL of the root servers would have to change
all of their addresses at the same time for DNS to be impacted.

> I think this should answer your questions:

I was hoping for a thumbs up or thumbs down, not to be pointed at
another document.

Based on the way I read the link, I still believe my original post is
accurate.  (Save for the XOR.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die