compile and install from source

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 06:51:39 UTC 2015

On 31/03/2015 02:32, @lbutlr wrote:
>> Can you start the named process "by hand" -- the command line should be
>> > something like:
>> >
>> > # /usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -c /etc/namedb/named.conf \
>> > 	-t /var/named

> Yes, that works without reporting any errors, so the issue appears to
> be with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named startup script.

Since you're running FreeBSD 8.4, you will still have the startup
scripts from the base system -- /etc/rc.d/named These are quite capable
of starting up the ports version of named. Just set

   named_command="/usr/local/sbin/named"

in /etc/rc.conf

Actually, given you *aren't* using the ports, where did
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/named come from?  That's supplied exclusively by the
port.

> However, if I try to check rndc…
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/rndc status
> rndc: neither /etc/rndc.conf nor /etc/rndc.key was found
>
> Now, it is true that there is no rndc.conf, but that is true all all three name servers. There is a rndc.key in /var/named/etc/namedb/rndc.conf
>
> I’m not sure why it is looking in (I assume /var/named/etc instead of)  /var/named/etc/namedb.
>
> is named_chrootdir="/var/named" not correct?

There should be a symbolic link /etc/namedb -> /var/named/etc/namedb if
you're using the standard chroot setup in FreeBSD 8.4.  The default
location for rndc.conf is /etc/namedb/rndc.conf  but again, there would
usually be a symlink /etc/rndc.conf -> /etc/namedb/rndc.conf (which
means the actual location after chasing all the symlinks is
/var/named/etc/namedb/rndc.conf)  Similarly for rndc.key if you are
using that instead.

I usually added another symlink /usr/local/etc/rndc.conf ->
/etc/namedb/rndc.conf when using the ports version of named with the
system versions of the named configuration scripts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.