different answers for different users - are views my only option?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jun 11 14:19:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> McDonald, Dan <Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to use RPZ to return different answers depending on the
>> ip address of the querying box?
>
> Yes in 9.10 but not in 9.9. However I think rpz-client-ip triggers rewrite
> all queries from metching clients, so it probably isn't what you want.
>
> (To be honest, I think hosts files sound like a plausible solution to your
> problem!)

You (Dan, not Tony!) said: "application servers burried deep behind a
few layers of reverse proxies and load balancers" - if your DNS
servers are *also* behind this sort of thing you may be able to use
the load-balancers (or policy routing) to route internal folk to
different name-servers, which have different answers.

I'm not sure *why* you would do this instead of views / rpz, but,
well, you could...

indirection, except of course for the problem of too many
indirections." -- David Wheeler