How to properly update chroot-bind

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 28 09:22:36 UTC 2015

Am 28.07.2015 um 10:56 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>> but you *never ever* should only update specific packages on a
>> RHEL/CentOS system because that is *not supported and tested* at all
>
> No? What are dependencies for, then?
> Or don't yum/RPM support them in the way debian does?
> (that is why it's quite easy to have mixed Debian... we have machine with
> mix of debian 5,6,7 and even 8... not that It's good idea)

CentOS is a RHEL clone except that there are no updates for older point
releases

it was multiple times statet by the maintainers on the mailing list that
you have to apply *all* errata updates nothing else is supported

it's not a matter of dependencies, it's just a matter of what
combinations of packages are tested for regressions and the fact that
there are no updates for RHEL without a good reason

how does dependencies help when there was a critical bug fixed in
package A which may hit your updated version of package B because the
combination of that versions never was tested

feel free to ignore that but you are at your own if things behave
unexpected when the developers say "just only use 'yum upgrade'" which
applies also for minor releases, when CentOS 6.7 is out there will be no
single update for CentOS 6.6 packages and hence "yum upgrade" brings you
to CentOS 6.7 in a few weeks which is from that moment on the only
supported CentOS 6.x