Slave zone intermittently not refreshing

Mart van de Wege mvdwege at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:24:57 UTC 2014

Hi Doug,

Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> writes:

> On 05/08/2014 05:53 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>
>> I have a couple, all of them 'retry limit for master $foo exceeded'.
>>
>> Only 2 hits for the master that's giving trouble though, and none of
>> those around the time we had trouble.
>
> If you're seeing any of these errors the problem is worse than you
> think.

Thankfully the errors I do have are known due to those masters having
connectivity issues.

> Also, you haven't mentioned anything about the logs on the
> master.

On the master for the domain that's intermittenly not refreshing I can't
say a thing, as that is owned by our customer, and they haven't passed
me any logs yet.

> Are you seeing any errors about the number of simultaneous
> transfers exceeded? IME if things work on the command line but the
> servers are not performing as expected this is usually the
> culprit. Also IME the default limits for simultaneous transfers and
> SOA queries are quite conservative. On a busy master I usually at
> least double them. You'll want to watch performance on the master to
> make sure it's not actually getting swamped of course.

I see no errors about the number of transfers. The master is running on
a rather healthily dimensioned VM, so if necessary I could increase the
default limits, but that should not be necessary if I don't get any
errors, correct?

Overall the master is performing fine as master for its slave domains,
and aside from 2 domains with known connectivity issues and this
particular domain is also running just fine as a slave for the couple
dozen slave domains hosted on it.

The only difference I *can* see is that this particular slave zone
occasionally gets a lot of updates in a single day, which is when this
problem seems to be triggered.

Regards,

Mart