Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu May 8 07:01:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-07 15:54, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. wrote:
> Yeah...I currently just look up the name and enter A records.  But, I've wondered if there was another record type that allowed it to detect address changes of the requested 'CNAME'....so I wouldn't have to.  Especially, if the requested 'CNAME' is a name that is known to change its IP...
>
> Either that...or come up with a way to script it.

DNSMadeEasy calls this an "ANAME" record, internally they just lookup
the destination's IP and cache it, updating it as needed.

It works, but it would be nice if this could be done in DNS. Sadly, it
can't, and probably won't in our lifetimes.

A better solution might be to push the world into using SRV records so
that a HTTP client could get the correct IP and port, while another
protocol would get it's correct IP And port for the apex of the same
zone, but again, in another world...

> Though it was just a minor delay....for them to revert back to the old site, until they migrated their email accounts to the CNAME site as well....

You still can't CNAME the APEX of a zone even if you do migrate your
email accounts to the CNAME site as you can't have a CNAME and SOA/NS
records at the same level.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/