bin 9.10 verbose logging

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 4 13:32:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 01:32:18PM +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> On 04/05/2014 05:28, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> >It is at the "notice" severity level. The code says:
> >
> >"We didn't get a OPT record in response to a EDNS query." and
> >also says "We need to drop/remove the logging here when we have
> >more experience."
> >
> >Are you getting this debugging for EDNS-related problems for
> >"every request"? Maybe need to realize why.
>
> Yes, at a guess I'd day every single request to the caching
> server was logging, daemon log which rarely sees more than
> 200k a week, grew to 210mb in 24 hours :)
>
> >Maybe you can change the setting in
> >
> >from ISC_LOG_NOTICE to ISC_LOG_DEBUG(10) in your
> > ./lib/dns/resolver.c.
>
> that didnt seem to do anything, I'm going to revert that
> server back to 9.9.5 to stop this madness. I'll maybe look
> for a logging option to null out, tomorrow.

This is what I use for a logging statement:

logging {
        channel "default_log" {
                file "logs/named.log" versions unlimited size 10485760;
                severity dynamic;
                print-time yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-category yes;
        };
        channel "query_log" {
                file "logs/query.log" versions 5 size 5242880;
                severity dynamic;
                print-time yes;
        };
        category "default" {
                "default_log";
        };
        category "queries" {
                "query_log";
        };
};

The print-category and print-severity in the default_log file will
quickly show you which category + severity is causing the noise.
Then, you can define another channel to deal with those as you
consider necessary / best.

Refer to ARM chapter 6 for details:
bind-9.10.0/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#id2574892
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/