How to create a fake root server?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 13 10:10:52 UTC 2014

In message <53216B43.8040200 at gmail.com>, Peter writes:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. It's just for a closed internal network with no
> access to the rest of the internet. Making labs such as testing ISP
> functions and services, mail servers etc. Everything is running inside
> an VMware host with an internal closed network.
>
> I have created a closed "Internet" on 172.16.x.x where I would like to
> put up a root server for .loc, where several other ISP-DNS servers, with
> domains, are referred to. I've managed to create those "ISP-DNS" servers
> which works fine. But I'm having trouble to create the root DNS server
> with Bind. I haven't found any useful examples at the web yet.

Perhaps because a root zone is like any other zone.  It has a SOA
record and NS records at the apex and other records.

. 3600 SOA server.example.net. hostmaster.example.net. 1 3600 1200 2419200 3600
. 3600 NS server.example.net.
. 3600 NS another.example.net.
server.example.net. 3600 A 1.2.3.4
another.example.net. 3600 A 1.2.3.5