Sporadic but noticable SERVFAILs in specific nodes of an anycast resolving farm running BIND

Kostas Zorbadelos kzorba at otenet.gr
Sat Mar 8 19:52:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

an update with the findings so far:

- IPv6 config on the servers was an issue so we removed it and will test
  further later. There is a hint pointed from various people about a
  Linux kernel issue and setting (net.ipv6.route.max_size), see

  https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2014-February/011366.html

- our main issue was that we were being attacked. Open resolvers in our
  network were utilized to produce large amounts of queries with random
  subdomains of specific domains. Analyzing a small capture we noticed
  the following domains, but the list should not be considered complete
  I guess

  www.jxoyjt.com.cn
  liebiao.81ypf.com
  yuerengu.com.cn
  www.lgsf.net
  www.xxcfsb.com
  lie.zz85.com
  www.9009pk.com
  www.bcbang.com

One mitigation approach is to blackhole the domains using local zones.

--
Kostas Zorbadelos
twitter:@kzorbadelos		http://gr.linkedin.com/in/kzorba