IP2Location instead of Maxmind

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sat Jul 12 16:55:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 06:31:34PM +0200, Ali Jawad wrote:
> Hi
> I am using 9.10 with geoIP, however the subscription based Maxmind database
> does have quite a number of mistakes that are correct in IP2location
> "judging from domaintools.com", can I use iP2location instead of Maxmind ?

If they use the same database format, and it can be read with libGeoIP,
then sure.

If they don't use the same database format, there's an open source tool
called "geoip-csv-to-dat" that you can use to roll a libGeoIP country
database from text input.  Maybe you could take the ip2location data and
create a usable database from it.

I'm not aware of any tools that can create the other libGeoIP database
types (city, region, ISP, etc) -- last time I looked, only country worked.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.