slave zone files unreadable

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Jul 12 09:05:51 UTC 2014

On 12/07/2014 11:08, Mark Andrews wrote:

> The real problem is humans.  They like to tinker with files (hence
> the subject line).  There really shouldn't be a reason for anyone
> to need to read slave database files.  They are there so named can
> have the zone content when it starts up rather than having to
> re-transfer the content at startup.  If you need the contents of the
> zone axfr them from the server.  That way you actually get up to
> date content not 15 minute old content.
>
> If we could get people away from wanting to use a editor on master
> files directly we would.  The practice is highly error prone even
> for experts.

Most management systems in hosting comps typically open file < blah EOF
and stuff, so maybe 99.999999999999% of the internet :D   (of course
these, and those of us who know how to write them by hand have no
trouble - because we all learnt the hard way at some time)

Also, I may be having a blonde moment (got a nasty case of te flu at
present) but whatever happened to the once discussed advantages of
having bind load zone files in the same way Apache httpd does using
(Include/IncludeOptional sompath_under_"directory"/* ), if the zone is
there it loads it, if not, it doesnt/ignores it - not just bail out
completely, that removes the dangers of a corrupted named.conf with tens
of thousands of zones. Testing showed with 11.5K hosts, the load time
was only 3 or so seconds longer IIRC (maybe less), not bad for peace of
mind ('n yes I know in DNS 3 seconds is a long time, but WTF takes pri
and sec's offline at same time (ok I guess the clowns who run them both
on hte same cheap over subscribed VPS but thats another rant for another
day)