initial lookup fails every time

Tony Publiski tonster at tonster.com
Sat Jul 12 05:19:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has seen this before. I'm running a couple of BIND 9.8.2 DNS servers and having an issue with them for some reason.  The servers end up failing to lookup on the initial lookup of a domain that hasn't been previously cached every time.  If you immediately retry, the lookup succeeds without issue.  I've looked all over but not been able to find any answers, and it's driving me crazy.  Anyone seen this before or have an idea?

[root at ns ~]# nslookup www.chase.com
;; connection timed out; trying next origin
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find www.chase.com: NXDOMAIN

[root at ns ~]# nslookup www.chase.com