Non-responsive name servers when started during boot on OS X Mavericks 10.9

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Wed Jan 22 18:27:45 UTC 2014

On 22 Jan 2014, at 05:37 , Larry Stone <lstone19 at stonejongleux.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:38 PM, LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Jan 2014, at 06:52 , Larry Stone <lstone19 at stonejongleux.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That is not the problem.
>>
>> In the launchd plist do you have something like
>>
>> <dict>
>> <key>NetworkState</key>
>> <true/>
>> </dict>
>>
>> or maybe
>>
>> <key>inetdCompatibility</key>
>> <dict>
>> <key>Wait</key>
>> <true/>
>> </dict>
>>
>> to tell the system not to start bind until after the network is up?
>
> No, but neither does Apple.

Right, but Apple did this by having their compile of bind start listening on 127.0.0.1 and then prodding it once the network was up and the IP address was available. Since Apple doesn't take this extra step, you'd need to tell launchd to wait for the Network, or you'd have to duplicate Apple's solution (probably by sending need a SIGHUP when the network is live).

> My launched plist is the same as what Apple provided with OS X 10.8

Right, but bind was included with the base OS X client in 10.8.

> But another good area for experimentation when I have a chance (yesterday’s surprise announcement that Logmein is discontinuing their Free product effective immediately shuffled the priorities :-( ).

Yes, that rather pissed me off as well. It's one thing to discontinue a free service, it is something else entirely to cut it off with no warning. Oh well.

--
'Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's because they're the
ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's only the