Sites that points their A Record to localhost

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Mon Jan 13 22:19:59 UTC 2014

On 01/13/14 03:43, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <mailman.2022.1389603219.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:

>> On 12.01.14 15:04, Chris Thompson wrote:
>>> That would be more plausible if www.p3net.net actually resolved to
>>> something, rather than giving NXDOMAIN ...
>>
>> why? If it's not supposed to work, it should give NXDOMAIN instead of fake
>> record (including localhost).
>
> That's his point: they're not "forcing people to go to the trouble of
> typing in www.p3net.net", because there is no such record.

OTOH, some of us think the notion that all websites have to begin with
www. is dated.  I want the site to work without the 'www.'  I find it
annoying that keep running into sites where only www.domain.name
works.....worse are the ones where domain name alone doesn't something
else...

Though there used to be an enforced policy here, when you requested a
website name to be added to DNS, you got both with and without www forms
auto-magically.  As well as be in both our domains.

Can cause problems with sites that do SSL....they've always been known
only by one name, but since the other forms exist and somebody out of
the blue tries one ... and they typed https:// first....well, now its
somebody's problem that it resulted in an SSL error.  Including the
person that was just following policy....

Seemed to me that there are mailservers that reject mail from domains
that claim to be localhost, (or perhaps its sites like these that result
in some sites rejecting such domains?)

What's p3net.net?

--
Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally