What do you do when the Root records are wrong?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 14:29:42 UTC 2014

On Apr 3 2014, /dev/rob0 wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 07:19:03PM +0800, Maren S. Leizaola wrote:
>> It seems that UDRTLD.NET is not equal across all DNS server on the
>> Root zone and it is affecting all the hosts that we are hosting.
>
>Note that because "net" is delegated from the root, your question is
>wrongly posed. UDRTLD.NET is not in the root zone.

It's traditional that any reference to the "root" on this mailing
list is probably wrong.

[...]
>> some DNS servers are responding with this:
>>
>> ns2432.ztomy.com
>> ns1432.ztomy.com
>
>Which ones? Are they authoritative for .net?

No, they are authoritative for udrtld.net, self-consistently claiming
themselves as the only NS records for it.

This looks like a simple case of a change of nameservers for a zone not
propagating too well, because the old ones haven't stopped serving it.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk