RRL probably not useful for DNS IP blacklists,

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Sep 24 11:12:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 19:21 +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > > As a matter of interest, if one had a DNSBL with 5.5 million entries
> > > (i.e. 5.5 million IPs):
> > >
> > > 1) What needs to be done to rewrite that to a BIND zone?
> > > 2) What sort of machine would be required to load that zone?
> > > 3) How long would it take to load into BIND?

Likely wouldnt have 5.5 mill IP's because you can fine grain it with any
CIDR (and exclude by  /32 or any CIDR)

> By the way, how much smaller would that DNSBL be if it could use
> wildcards?  I suspect a real (as opposed to synthetic) DNSBL has
> a lot of repetition in all except the last labels.

We used to run our int bl on bind, it was a resource hog compared to
rbldnsd
But there is no way in hell, I'd run rbldnsd  on anything else other
than a BL,

IMO, they are both designed to do different things, and they both do
their own thing, much better than the other because if it.