New Versions of BIND are available (9.9.4, 9.8.6, and 9.6-ESV-R10)

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Sep 20 01:13:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 23:40 +0000, Evan Hunt wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:20:29AM +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> > I have been using this since 9.9.4bx, and although documentation is/was
> > lacking at the time, so there might be a whitelisting somewhere , but in
> > its absence, I highly advise against using RRL if your mail servers use
> > those DNS servers
>
> A mail server should be talking to a caching resolver, not an
> authoritative DNS server; RRL is for authoritaive servers. So the
> situation shouldn't ordinarily arise.

Yes true, but in some cases, some servers are both, using views, try
tell a small business with 3 staff and only a combined mail/web, plus
one DNS (I act as secondary so that saves them a bit) that they need to
install another server, dedicated to caching if they insist of having
this feature enabled :) - this resembles countless small business and
SOHO setups, so it would be advantageous in future releases if it can
not currently, be configured using views.