ARIN IP assignments

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 8 00:11:31 UTC 2013

In message <525349B3.6090402 at paz.bz>, Jim Pazarena writes:
> I have a client who has been assigned a /20 from ARIN.
>
> They asked me to help them with their DNS.
>
> The DNS for me is the easy part. except...
>
> ARIN has told them that you use the DNS to set up the routing so that
> the traffic for this /20 gets routed to the correct up-stream provider.

I think this is a case of "$ethnicity whispers".

If they have a /20 then they need to setup 16 reverse zones, one for
each /24 in the /20.

If they are delegating smaller blocks to others then they may need
to swip the smaller block.  If those blocks are between /21 and /24
inclusive this will allow for reverse delegations direct from arin
to the client.  If those blocks are for a /25 or longer they may
want to look at RFC 2317 style delegations or allow the client to
dynamically update their part of the reverse zone.

Mark