Recursive BIND server doesn't execute recursion for IPv6 fd00::/8 reverse zone

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 16:22:49 UTC 2013

On 25/11/13 16:16, Listas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm enabling IPv6 dual stack in my network and my Bind authoritative
> servers are working perfectly with the ip6.arpa zones.
>
> But my Recursive DNS server cannot resolve the reverse zone records from
> my private network. I tried to make a setup similar to what I do for my
> private network (IPv4 RFC1918) 10.0.0.0,  but no success.
>
> The recursive server recognizes the zone
> 5.a.8.3.2.e.3.f.7.7.d.f.ip6.arpa but doesn't send the query to the
> authoritative server (ns1.mydomain.com).

No, because you told your recursive it was authoritative and gave it an
empty zone file.

Either use a correct forward/stub or delegate properly.

Hint: creating a master zone "blah" and putting:

blah. IN NS some.other.server.

...does not magically make bind query "some.other.server". It makes bind
be authoritative and return NS records containing "some.other.server" to
clients.