Recursive DNS server cannot resolve the reverse zone records from my IPv6 private network

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Nov 6 20:42:50 UTC 2013

In message <527A8AC4.3010105 at adminlinux.com.br>, Listas writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm enabling IPv6 dual stack in my network and my Bind authoritative
> servers are working perfectly with the ip6.arpa zones.
>
> But my Recursive DNS server cannot resolve the reverse zone records from
> my private network. I tried to make a setup similar to what I do for my
> private network (IPv4 RFC1918) 10.0.0.0,  but no success.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> The configuration of my recursive server is here:
> http://adminlinux.com.br/recursive-bind.conf

Firstly you are using the wrong addresses range.  You should be using
FD00::/8 for locally assigned addresses.  FC00::/8 is reserved for
centrally assigned local addresses and there isn't yet a registry
to perform those assignments so no one should be using them.

Secondly change "5.a.8.3.2.e.3.e.0.0.c.f.ip6.arpa" into a slave
zone and transfer the contents from the other server.  Add this
server as a nameserver to the zone or configure the master to send
this server notify messages when the zone changes.  Presumably the
existing master zone is just a empty zone which is why you got the
NXDOMAIN.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC