Negative zones; NXDOMAIN responses

Narcis Garcia informatica at actiu.net
Sun May 19 19:51:07 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to solve this problem in some local networks, without
intervention to client computers:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avahi/+bug/327362

These LAN have a BIND9 service to provide name resolving and caching for
internet access, and I want to intercept the .local domain to give a
NXDOMAIN response. The internet ISP returns positive values for .local
queries, and I need that LAN clients receive NXDOMAIN instead.

Can I create a zone file for .local domain and specify there NXDOMAIN
values for SOA and A RRs? How should be the content of the zone sheet?

Thanks.