architecture question

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu May 9 15:53:12 UTC 2013

Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:

> > Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
> > > yes, so they will start using it in their job and home.
>
> On 09.05.13 16:01, Tony Finch wrote:
> > They shouldn't do that if the teacher has properly explained how domains
> > are delegated and who the tutorial domain belongs to.
>
> I was trying to paraphrase Michael McNally's former comment
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2013-May/090609.html
>
> I think the situation is just the same

No it isn't. If you teach them to use a bogus internal pseudo-RFC1918 TLD
then the students will learn that it is OK to re-use the same
configuration everywhere, like they do for RFC1918 IP address space. If
you teach them how to choose a suitable internal subdomain of a
properly-delegated public domain then they should do that.

You can reinforce the point that different namespaces have different ways
of handling allocations for internal use if you also teach IPv6 and how to
properly allocate addresses in RFC 4193 IPv6 ULA space.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.