architecture question

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Wed May 8 17:49:53 UTC 2013

You could also make a sub domain of your main domain and use that for
all students, unless of course the purpose is to teach how to set this up.

<slight irony>I have used .home my self, now I would take something that
nobody would ever think of using in the "real" world, in old days I did
consider .xxx, that is now a whole other thing than just something odd.
Generally you may want to consider the new options for people to make
actual TLDs to be their company name.

At the start of the course, you could make a draw among the students and
use the selected persons first name, that any coming thing like mdsn
would use that is not very likely. It also draws attention to the
significance of those letters.</slight irony>

On 08/05/13 19:33, Jeremy P wrote:
> I understand letter of the law, spirit of the law and playing it safe
> to avoid headaches.
>
> However, there are times where registering a real domain just isn't
> practical.  For example, I'm not going to ask all of the students in
> my courses to go out and register a .com for the semester.  It would
> be a waste of money as their systems never leave the local network,
> except through a NAT connection.  So in those types of instances, I'm
> assuming .lan or .test are safest?
>

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Steven Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com
> <mailto:sjcarr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8 May 2013 18:09,  <WBrown at e1b.org <mailto:WBrown at e1b.org>> wrote:
>     > This just came up with a site I support.  Thanks to this list
>     and the
>     > DNS-OARC list, I know better. Hopefully, I can redirect them to use
>     > something below their real domain for Active Directory such as
>     > ad.example.org <http://ad.example.org>.
>
>     FWIW: MS now advises not to use .local for internal AD anymore. They
>     suggest you use your owned/registered namespace to prevent domain
>     collisions.
>
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264
>     Generally, we recommend that you register DNS names for internal and
>     external namespaces with an Internet registrar... Registering your DNS
>     name with an Internet registrar may help prevent a name collision.

Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting:

       "MALE BOVINE MANURE!!!"