PTR files

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 17 22:11:51 UTC 2013

On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Norman Fournier <norman at normanfournier.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> (...Members of the httpd-users list says the same thing - its not an httpd problem.

From what you've said below, they're quite right.

> I am just trying to take possibilities off my list of potential errors, sorry if I am annoying you, it's unintentional and symptomatic of my ignorance, so I'm asking questions. I think that is a legitimate use of my subscription to this list, and the list's raison d'être. Surely the list is not exclusively for individuals who know what they're talking about?..)

This list is for discussion of ISC's BIND.

> This is the error message my browser returns:
>
>> The server at dlinkrouter can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall...
>
> Instead of "The server at mydomain.com can't be found", etc., - the error message states my router brand name. My router config seems fine. How would my router name get swapped for my domain name? And where might that error be located? In my httpd.conf? named.conf seemed a more likely place, although it looks okay to me.
>
> What question might I ask the httpd list that might be enlightening?

Let's assume that you've got a D-Link router which has a single public IP from your provider, and provides NAT translation for a private RFC-1918 subnet, and you've placed your webserver on a VM which lives behind that D-Link router.  If so, you will need to enable static port forwarding for 80/tcp to the VM running the webserver, or perhaps place that IP in the router's "Enable DMZ Host" section of the firewall config.

This is basic networking; it doesn't have any close relationship to either DNS or webservers.

Regards,
--
-Chuck