Build BIND 9.9.3-P1 on Solaris 10 with 'cc', using OpenSSL built with 'gcc'?

mikep at noc.utoronto.ca mikep at noc.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 10 18:51:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013, Dennis Clarke wrote:

>> That seems odd....though I haven't tried building 9.9.3-P1 yet.
>>
>> But, all the previous releases built with gcc.  Our Solaris package
>> build/management system only has gcc.
>>
>> BIND 9.9.3 was the first BIND that got built 64-bit, which did take a
>> little extra work in getting it find our 64-bit builds of openssl and
>> zlib.
>>
>> Which was basically to have it look in /usr/local/lib/(amd64|sparcv9)
>> instead of just /usr/local/lib (had found in config.log that it was
>> complain about architecture mismatch.)
>
> I have been building bind 9.x for years on Solaris with cc and no problem.
> As for OpenSSL, well the issue seems trivial, most likely there is a downstream
> lib dependency on libgcc.so or some gcc c++ libs perhaps. One merely needs
> to setup a LD_OPTIONS correctly with care paid to LD_RUN_PATH and you
> should be fine.
>
> Ultimately Oracle Studio 12.3 ( or Sun Studio or Forte or whatever the brand
> name du jour is ) doesn't care where you put your libs so long as you say
> where to find them and have a match on the architecture.

Although I have 'crle' set to include the GNU/GCC libraries,
adding "LDFLAGS='-L/opt/gnu/lib -R/opt/gnu/lib'" to the 'configure'
command has got it all working with 'CC=cc' -- thanks for the pointer!

> Dennis

Mike
--
Mike Peterson                            Information Security Analyst - Audit
E-mail: mikep at noc.utoronto.ca                WWW: http://www.noc.utoronto.ca/