Queries using forwarders

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 19:50:47 UTC 2013

If the records which are being requested are in the DNS server's cache
then it may return the records directly from cache (depends on your
configuration). If the record isn't in the cache it will attempt to
fetch it and return it to the client, it will then be placed in the
cache so subsequent queries for that data will be returned direct from
cache.

A response will be returned as authoritative when the server is an
authority for that zone, as in it has been configured to serve the
zone*.

Steve

* Whether you actually have the right to serve that zone as
authoritative is another matter, for example I could easily create a
zone called microsoft.com and serve it out to my local clients and
they would be none the wiser (well other than it's not the real
microsoft.com), if you tried to serve it externally to the Internet
though it would be ignored as the DNS hierarchy for microsoft.com goes
no where near your server and points at Microsoft's DNS servers.