different between views and having multiple instances

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:44:14 UTC 2012

> I need to understand the difference between configuring bind views and
> having multiple instances of bind. I have 5 network interfaces on my server
> and I want to have 2 instances of DNS server (just for testing) and I don't
> know which one to do ?

BIND views are powerful, but configuring them can become complex.

If your machine has the resources for doing so, I'd recommend running
multiple instances of BIND, which will enable you to stop/start your
test-instances at will.  Furthermore you'll probably find configuration
of individual BIND name servers easier to create and manage. On the
down-side you'll need monitoring for the N instances, you'll probably
have N logs, etc.

Knowing what I do from your description, I would chose the N instances.

        -JP