Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon May 7 23:58:11 UTC 2012

Please add a Subject next time.

Please log a bug report with you Mail User Agent vendor that it is
doing unnessecary quoted-printable escaping.  Comma does not need
to be escaped and as the purpose of quoted-printable is to be
readable by humans any unnecessary quoting should be avoided.

In message <DUB109-W1019888953B5631B3DD13C1AC130 at phx.gbl>, hugo hugoo writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I have the following situation in my zone migration for one server (A) to a=
> nother server (B)
>
> The zone is called toto.be and contains the following record:
>
> www.toto.be  86400 IN CNAME  www.titi.be
>

> ==> the zone titi.be is in the same server (A) but is not transferred t=
> o the server (B).
>

> If I do a dig @SERVER(A) www.toto.be  ==> I  receive the IP correspondi=
> ng to www.titi.be
>
> If I do a dig @SERVER(B) www.toto.be  ==> I do not receive the IP corre=
> sponding to www.titi.be
>

> - Is this situation due to the fact that dig always and only contacts the s=
> erver mentionned in the command ?

Dig only contacts one server when using @server (note it might try
multiple addresses).  To resolve the target of a CNAME the server
needs to be configured to recurse or to have a local copy of the
CNAME target.  It is not a error for authoritative servers to not
return the data for the target of a CNAME as recursive servers will
make additional queries.

> - Does the titi.be and toto.be be on the same server to correctly use CNAME=
> S?

No, recursive servers will perform a second lookup to resolve
CNAME targets.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org