"rndc reconfig" vs. "rndc reload"

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Mar 16 14:43:30 UTC 2012

> I was considering doing "rndc reconfig", followed by a "rndc reload
> <zone>" for each of the new zones.
>
> Would this work?

'reconfig' reloads the configuration without reloading all of the zones,
but if it sees that you've added or removed any zones in the config file,
it will load or unload those.  So, when you say "new zones" above, if you
meant actually *new*, then it's not necessary to do a subsequent reload.
But if you meant existing zones that have been updated, then I believe
your approach would work.

BIND 9.9.0 has improved reconfig time somewhat, you might try it if
you have a chance.  Used to be, reconfig would pause the system, then
parse the config file and apply the necessary changes, then resume.
In 9.9.0, it parses the config file *first*, and *then* pauses the
system to apply the changes.  If you have a really big config file
due to a large number of zones, that can save a noticeable amount
of downtime.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.