Delegation bit-rot detection?

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 13:54:16 UTC 2012

We are exploring similar audits and opportunities for cleanup.

For domains we delegate PTRs, we track NS hostnames (e.g. IN NS  ns1.bogus.customer.tld) that have gone NXDOMAIN.

If ns1.bogus.customer.tld remains NXDOMAIN for 30+ days, we remove the delegation.
The idea behind 30+ days is to allow for a grace period.  Why?  If the domain expired and caught the owner by surprise, then 30 days allows time for the domain owner to renew before we make any changes (so that we do not waste time removing the delegation to only have to reinstate it).

Perhaps a similar approach be worthwhile for auditing the secondary services.  That is, parse BIND's config file (source of truth) for all secondary configs, run dedicated auditing tests (e.g. AXFR), record the outcomes, and act upon the defunct configurations per Policy.

All that said, I am also interested in what others are doing.  I am sure there are better methods out there.

Thanks.