OpenSSL problem: bind98-base FreeBSD port

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sun Jul 8 20:40:02 UTC 2012

On 2012/07/08, at 15:04, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> What makes me doubt what I just said is that this has been an issue for more than a year now, so I am not sure why you have escaped it for so long.  I assume you had openssl 1.0.x installed before you upgraded it--or was it an earlier version?

I keep things pretty up to date, and this machine isn't that old anyway.  It's possible that due to order of operations when I was building things that bind was previously linked against the system openssl libraries, rather than the ports version.

> At any rate, if you run make config in /usr/ports/security/openssl, it gives you the option of compiling the libraries statically.  I have successfully done this in the past and it has worked.  However, anything else that is currently depending on the openssl shared library from ports (as opposed to the bundled system) will need to be recompiled before it will work, as will bind 9.8.

I'll give that a shot.. thanks, it sounds promising.

> Doug Barton may have some better ideas as to how best to make it all work.

Yeah, I have to wonder if there's something that can be done in ports to prevent this from being an issue.