bind public/private domain question

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Tue Feb 21 20:14:45 UTC 2012

> I'm looking for advice on an issue.  I have a publicly registered domain which we also use internally.  I have bind configured as a caching DNS server.  Bind is configured to use four other Windows DNS servers as forwarders for the domain.  Bind should be using the root servers for anything not configured to forward.

I'm having difficulty understanding your configuration. Would you please provide relevant portions of your bind configuration files and some configuration details for your Windows DNS servers. In particular with regard to the Windows DNS servers, are they authoritative for your Active Directory domain? Are the zones for which they are authoritative Active Directory integrated? What is their forwarding configuration? Do their Forward Lookup Zones contain internal or external addresses?

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School