Query Regarding NSEC RR in DNSSEC

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:18:14 UTC 2012

Briefly, the answer is, the NXDOMAIN response could be replayed by a man-in-the-middle attacker. We need to have something to sign, something specific to that query. If we just return the zone's SOA record and its signature, we're still subject to a replay attack. So we need to prove the negative, and that happens by enumerating all the possible positive answers "near" the query.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks