Bind not forwarding all requests

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Dec 10 13:26:01 UTC 2012

Romgo wrote on 12/10/2012 06:36:10 AM:

> I had 2 old zone with forwarders configured, the forwarders was down.
> One equipment was still using one of this zone, so bind wasn't able
> to contact the forwarders and fall back to root zone.
>
> I don't really why it try the root zone but since I delete those old
> zone I don't have any new queries to the root zone.
>
> According to what I read about "forward only" :
>
> "it doesn't try to contact other name servers to find information if
> the forwarders don't give it an answer."
>
> I had exactly opposite behaviour.

Actually, it was operating as designed.  The zones with forwarders defined
were overriding the global option to forward only.

Try taking down (or block access to) the target of your forward only
statement and see if you get any resolution.  Everything that you are not
authoritative for should fail.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.