ho to filter hundeds of domains ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Aug 30 21:48:58 UTC 2012

On 8/30/2012 10:33 AM, Rick Coloccia wrote:
> add this line to /etc/named.conf
>
> include "locallyblockeddomains.zones";
>

> contents of locallyblockeddomains.zones:
>
> // This bind zone is intended to be included in a running dns server
> for a local net
> //
> // It will return a 127.0.0.1 for the domains listed as malware
> //
> //  This is for locally determined domains we want blocked
> //
> //
> zone "r.im"  {type master; file "/etc/namedb/blockeddomain.hosts";};
> <snipped many more out>
> zone "emailupgrader.clan.su" {type master;file
> "/etc/named/blockeddomain.hosts";};
>

> this is the /etc/namedb/blockeddomain.hosts file:
>
> $TTL    86400   ; one day
>
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.geneseo.edu coloccia.geneseo.edu (
>                         2007112601      ; serial
>                         28800           ; refresh  8 hours
>                         7200            ; retry    2 hours
>                         864000          ; expire  10 days
>                         86400 )         ; min ttl  1 day
>
>                 IN      NS      ns1.geneseo.edu.
>                 A       127.0.0.1
> *               IN      A       127.0.0.1
> *               IN      AAAA    ::1
> ; This zone will kill all traffic to a listed domain
>

> Done.
>
> Add domains you want blocked to the locallyblockeddomains.zones file.
The null or "unspecified" address -- "0.0.0.0" in IPv4, "::" in IPv6 --
is generally considered the more polite and "proper" way to express
"don't ever try to connect to this".

If you put a loopback address in there, a poorly-coded app might end up
spinning, connecting to itself. But the unspecified address gets stopped
cold at the OS level so it's the preferred choice.

             - Kevin