Version statement...

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Aug 20 10:09:57 UTC 2012

sthaug at nethelp.no <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

> > I have since learned that you get different version output from dig,
> > named -v, and a dns query and the version statement only affects
> > specific outputs.
>
> What is the difference between using dig and a DNS query?

Dig reports its own version number in the comment at the start of its
output. "rndc status" and "named -v" report named's version. The "version"
configuration option affects responses to "version.bind ch txt" queries
but not other version number reporting mechanisms.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.