Syncing DNS zones with different names

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 15 07:48:47 UTC 2011

In article <mailman.98.1321341621.68562.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "Chris Balmain" <bind-users at wtf.net.au> wrote:

> Let's say I have two domain names, d1.com and d2.com, and I want to
> synchronise all records underneath them (one-way sync, that is). So if I
> create an A record www.d1.com pointing at 1.2.3.4, www.d2.com is also
> automatically created, with the same value. So it's almost like a
> master/slave relationship, but the slave zone has a different name to the
> master.
>
> Let's assume the two zones will be hosted on the same set of nameservers, so
> even the SOA and NS records will be identical between them.
>
> I've been googling, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know if this is
> natively possible with Bind 9, or will I have to hack a script together to
> do a transfer from the d1.com zone and parse the data to build an equivalent
> zone file for d2.com?

See the DNAME record. It's like a CNAME, but applies to the whole
domain. But you need to put the DNAME in the zone where the domain is
delegated; so in your case, you'd have to get the DNAME into the .COM
zone.

Another way to do it is to use the same zone file for both zones on the
master server. Make sure that you use unqualified names everywhere in
the zone file that you're not referencing outside the zone.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA