DNSSEC and forward zones

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Nov 2 13:26:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 08:45:31AM -0400, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> Lyle wrote on 11/01/2011 04:19:18 PM:
>
> > Again, this has a disadvantage if they ever decide to make .internal a
> > real internet domain name and some people frown upon this practice.  Be
> > sure you know what can go wrong.
>
> Is there an IETF/ICANN reserved TLD for internal use?  I've seen plenty of
> .loc and .local, but I haven't seen an RFC reserving it.

I happened to be looking for some other details on mDNS yesterday and noticed that the current draft version of the spec reserves .local:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-14
   This document specifies that the DNS top-level domain ".local." is a
   special domain with special semantics, namely that any fully-
   qualified name ending in ".local." is link-local, and names within
   this domain are meaningful only on the link where they originate.

At the same time it also specifies that .local can only be used with mDNS, so it isn't really suitable for this use. . .

Bill.