subdomain delegation question

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) andris at aernet.ru
Sun May 22 21:28:59 UTC 2011

Hi Dalton,

Sun, 22 May 2011 13:36:43 -0700 dalton stickney wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have what may be an easy question here, but it's been a while since
> I did much with Bind, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something
> wrong here.
>
> What I'm trying to do, should be relatively simple i think, but for
> some reason i cannot get it to work. I'm trying to delegate a
> subdomain to a separate nameserver.
>
> My zone file looks like this:
>
> $TTL 86400
>
> ; Start of Authority
>
> stor.company.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.company.com.
hostmaster.company.com. (

>                               2011052000 ; Serial
>                               3600       ; Refresh
>                               900        ; Retry
>                               864000     ; Expire
>                               86400      ; Min TTL
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not a "Min TTL" but a "Minimum Negative TTL" instead.

>                          )
>
> ; Host
>
> sip.stor.company.com. IN A 10.10.10.10

It looks like that your $ORIGIN is "stor.company.com". Start tidying
your zone file by reading the section 3.2 "Zone file style guide" of
RFC 1912 "Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors" available at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt . You don't have to specify
your $ORIGIN every time so the line quoted above can be edited as

sip                     IN A 10.10.10.10

> ; Nameserver
>
> subdomain.stor.company.com. IN NS sip.stor.company.com.
> stor.company.com.           IN NS ns2.company.com.
> stor.company.com.           IN NS ns1.company.com.
>
> I have the appropriate entry for stor.company.com in named.conf.
> I can resolve the nameserver for the subdomain: sip.stor.company.com.

sip.stor.company.com isn't a subdomain but a hostname which is used as
a nameserver for subdomain.stor.company.com.

> But i cannot dig for ns for subdomain.stor.company.com, it times out.

Which servers are listed as a resolvers on your machine on which you're
running dig? If this is an UNIX machine, please show us your
/etc/resolv.conf and comment it.

Have you reloaded the zone stor.company.com properly?

--

Yours sincerely,

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)     http://www.andris.name/