Catchall BIND configuration for DNS parking service

Gianfranco Pra Floriani tech at ipfrom.com
Thu Jun 9 22:05:38 UTC 2011

Hello there,
I'm trying to configure BIND (BIND 9.7.3) as a "catchall" DNS server for a parking domain service. This is a way to let
users/clients park their domains automatically by pointing primary and secondary DNS servers there. It should work with ANY TLD
(both generic and countrycodes).

In named.conf, I have created a test zone (for debugging porpuses, will be removed once working):

zone "working.test" IN { type master; file "parked.domains"; };

and I have defined the "." zone as master:

zone "." IN { type master; file "parked.domains"; };

So, as you see, both working.test and "." use the same zone.

The parked.domains zone looks like this:

$TTL 86400
; parked.domains zone
@               IN      SOA     ns1.parkingdomini.com. postmaster.ns1.parkingdomini.com. (
                 2011052800
                 86400
                 3600
                 604800
                 86400 )
                 NS      ns1.parkingdomini.com.
                 NS      ns2.parkingdomini.com.

                 MX      100 mail.parkingdomini.com.
                 IN      A       1.2.3.4
*               IN      A       1.2.3.4

Here is the problem:
If I explicitly declare a zone in named.conf with "parked.domains" as zonefile, it behaves correctly. But as "catchall" is not
anwering correctly.
If I run:

dig working.test @localhost ANY

the ANSWER SECTION IS:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
working.test.           86400   IN      SOA     ns1.parkingdomini.com. postmaster.ns1.parkingdomini.com. 2011052800 86400 3600
604800 86400
working.test.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.parkingdomini.com.
working.test.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.parkingdomini.com.
working.test.           86400   IN      MX      100 mail.parkingdomini.com.
working.test.           86400   IN      A       1.2.3.4

while, if I dig anything else, the ANSWER SECTION IS:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
somethingelse.test.     86400   IN      A       1.2.3.4

Why? The zone defined is exactly the same.

Any help is welcome.
Thank you
gian