rndc confusion

donovan jeffrey j donovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Thu Jan 27 02:39:53 UTC 2011

Greetings

it has been a while since I have worked with named, and Ive seemed to wrap myself in a key confusion.

I had some issue with an invalid key so i ran rndc-confgen -a which gave me a new key in /etc/rndc.key.
so now rndc works fine.

but when looked at /etc/rndc.conf the key was different than the  /etc/rndc.key. i thought they had to be the same for this to work. I'm assuming that i should replace the key the rndc.conf, or maybe it's not needed since I'm loading directly from named.conf ?

any insight or flames welcome.
-j

config below;

named.conf

//
// Include keys file
//
include "/etc/rndc.key";

controls  {
	inet 127.0.0.1 port 1234 allow { localhost; } keys { rndc-key; };
   };

options  {
	include "/usr/local/named/options";
   };

logging {
	include "/usr/local/named/loggingOptions.conf";
};

include "/etc/dns/privateView.conf.basd";

rndc.conf

# Start of rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
	algorithm hmac-md5;