BIND 9.8.0b1 Released Today

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Mon Jan 24 13:59:46 UTC 2011

> so, iiuc, the difference is that "type forward" sends queries with RD bit
> set, while "type static-stub" sends them with RD cleared... and
> the "forward first" option appears to be applicable only in forward zones.
>
> did I get it right?
Yes

> I use forward zones for blacklists - while I mirror some locally, but when my
> mirror fails, the usual resolution takes place.
>
> If I'm right, this is not possible with "type static-stub" zones.
Yes

> I wonder, what are expected usages for this kinds of zones?
> Maybe blacklists, if we have local mirrors and traffic so high that we'd get
> blocked imediately?

It's subtle.

One use case is for testing new servers that aren't yet part of the main
Internet name space.  You can force queries for that zone to go to your
test servers (maybe they're running new software, maybe they're testing
DNSSEC, maybe... ) instead of the servers that would be located the via
delegation from the parent zone.  In this instance the test servers
might well need to respond with the 'real' nameserver information (for
returning to clients) - but you don't want that to override the fact
that you still want to send future queries to the servers you have on test.