BIND 9.8.0b1 Released Today

pyh at mail.nsbeta.info pyh at mail.nsbeta.info
Sat Jan 22 04:17:24 UTC 2011

Sue Graves writes:

> New Features
> 9.8.0
>     * BIND now supports a new zone type, static-stub. This allows the
> administrator of a recursive nameserver to force queries for a
> particular zone to go to IP addresses of the administrator's choosing,
> on a per zone basis, both globally or per view. I.e. if the
> administrator wishes to have their recursive server query 192.0.2.1 and
> 192.0.2.2 for zone example.com rather than the servers listed by the
> .com gTLDs, they would configure example.com as a static-stub zone in
> their recursive server. [RT #21474]

Thanks that's great meaningful from my point.
Once I did need this feature years ago, but bind didnt have at that time.
So I wrote a kernel module with linux kernel to intercept the DNS requests
and match them with special domains. If matched, the module will return the
customized responses directly rather than letting bind to answer them. The
module opens two TCP ports on kernel so it even supports administrative
commands via socket.

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4444          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4445          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Now bind provides this capibility I think it's great much for the bind
based products so called GSLB(?) so that it can direct clients' traffic to
different sites in different situations.

Regards.