BIND 9.3 problem with semi-colon comments in zone file

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jan 19 00:48:33 UTC 2011

In message <BLU156-w399B8D944D112ABD5D1049F3F70 at phx.gbl>, "M. Meadows" writes:

> We've seen DNS reload issues with zone files with lines that begin with a
> ";" that don't have a " " directly after the semi-colon. Tried a google
> search to see why this happens. Didn't have much luck. Can someone explain?
>
> Thanks very much.
> Martin Meadows

Firstly stop using BIND 9.3.  It's no longer supported and has
unfixed security bugs.

Secondly the problem is not reproducable based on you description
with BIND 9.3.6-P2 and I can't remember a fix for as problem like
this so you have most probably mis-diagnosed the problem.  Perhaps
you could post a actual problem file.

Mark

% cvs/9.3.x/bin/check/named-checkzone -D junk junk
zone junk/IN: loaded serial 0
junk.					      0	IN SOA		. . 0 0 0 0 0
junk.					      0	IN NS		.
OK