AW: Dns doctoring/dnsmasq -V on bind?

someone someone at jvales.net
Mon Jan 17 14:30:34 UTC 2011

Running internal stuff over nat and the firewall is bad practice and should
be avoided as it uselessly loads the firewall, increases the complexity of
the rules and creates bottlenecks on a fast network backbone.

You might be correct for home systems where running over your firewall and
NAT for every internal request increases the hopcount by one at max.

But if you have like a building with 1200 people using 1 Gbit+ network and
you have to route them to your 100 Mbit firewall for all internal requests,
it would just generate useless traffic on many, many devices, slowing down
the backbone...

I know ist pretty dumb to say that on a dns mailinglist, but in comparison
to significantly slowing down the network i could not care less about
dnssec.
Also broken dnssec may never lead to clients not resolving the name without
asking the user first.
"Oh well, the cache is poisioned, lets just not resolve the name and dont
give the user the possibility to use this (might valid) resolved addr" ...
nice denial of service scenario ;)

And users getting a warning when accessing the internal pages... They would
learn to accept that.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 245.243.3.5 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.5 -i
eth1
Where eth1 = wan.
You do *not* want "anyone <-> anywhere" scenarios - that is the first step
to having an insecure network ;)

So again the question is: is there a way to do dns doctoring with bind only?

Greets
~Jan