enable a dynamic zone

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:29:57 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 11:45 AM, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>   Maybe just a detail without much significance. Will the zone become
> dynamic when you enable updates OR when you have actually done the first
> update - i.e. created the .jnl file?

A dynamic zone is a zone that allows dynamic updates, so the former. You
don't need a .jnl file, and can remove it (provided you have flushed the
updates and don't need the IXFR history) and it'll still be dynamic.

Another example, if you dnssec sign a zone, but leave it as static, then
later set:

auto-dnssec maintain;

...and

zone name {
   allow-update { ... };
}

...the zone will start to be "looked at" for DNSSEC signature
maintenance as soon as you do an "rndc reconfig". It might take minutes,
hours or days before a re-signing occurs, but it's dynamic immediately.

But I guess it's a matter of terminology.