epza.gov.tw. MX

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Aug 8 21:56:01 UTC 2011

DNS at TWNIC.NET.TW:  Please contact the adminitrators of EPZA.GOV.TW and have
them fix this.

In message <6BB5C370-F375-424F-891C-D9FCF9D0FA17 at yahoo-inc.com>, "Mark K. Petti
t" writes:
> On Aug 8, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:
>
> > On Aug 8 2011, Mark K. Pettit wrote:
> >
> >> My resolvers, running BIND 9.7.3P3, are having a difficult time resolving
> >> the MX record for the zone "epza.gov.tw.".
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Any idea why this might be happening?
> >
> > The delegation for epza.gov.tw from the gov.tw zone specifies a single
> > nameserver dns.epza.gov.tw (with glue 163.29.43.1). But the server there
> > thinks that the nameserver for the zone is called ns.epza.gov.tw, and
> > that dns.epza.gov.tw is a CNAME with target ns.epza.gov.tw.
> >
> > Using CNAMEs like that doesn't work correctly. Making dns.epza.gov.tw
> > have a duplicate address record instead would work, but of course what
> > is really needed is to get the delegation in step with the zone itself.
> >
> > Having more than one nameserver for the zone wouldn't be a bad idea,
> > either ...
>
> Thanks, this explained everything we've been seeing.
>
> Fortunately, it's not our fault, so we can punt.  :)

Well you can add a forward zone as a temporary workaround.

zone epza.gov.tw {
	type forward;
	forwarders { 163.29.43.1 };
};

or a static stub zone.

This is something that should be caught by the parent zone's administators
on their regular checks of the delegations.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org