no servers could be reached

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 06:31:25 UTC 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 8:27 AM, uifiddle at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to config a bind server which could answering queries (at
> least from 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.18.128) like "dig kia.czj" but I
> failed to. perhaps my ignorance about  match-clients and
> match-destinations statements failed my attempt, or more likely, "SOA
> and NS of localhost. seems wrong".

Your SOA and NS records are fine for a testing or other small private environment.

> It should be
> localhost.localdomain.And I used to think the $origin statement is not
> necessary, the idea about the zone name could be got from named.conf.

Your understanding was correct.

The problem is that the ACL "localhost" in named.conf does not mean what it means pretty much everywhere else. It is not a synonym for 127.0.0.1. Instead, it means the local system, including all available network interfaces.

It's evident that you're testing on your name server directly. The server's address is 192.168.18.128. So your query is getting filed into the first view, and thus never gets to the second.

To fix this, you could either remove the localhost_resolver view that Red Hat provides, or else change "localhost" in the first view to "127.0.0.1". I recommend removing the extraneous view, since you're obviously not intending to use it.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks